Burn Permit

The ways to obtain a burn permit in the Town of Dedham:

Permits are issued for burning after 5:00pm on weekdays and all day on weekends. Depending on weather and other conditions, additional restrictions may be imposed and/or burning may be suspended.


Except during extreme weather conditions, two-day permits may be issued. Permits covering the weekend may be issued on Friday, weather permitting.

Seasonal campfire permits may only be issued by the Fire Chief. Contact the Town Office to set up a time for the Chief to inspect your fire pit.

The following materials can be burned with a permit:

  • Painted and unpainted wood and demolition debris
  • Wood waste (brush, stumps, lumber, bark, wood chips, shavings, slabs, edgings, slash, and sawdust - must not contain any metal, plastics, coatings, or chemicals)
  • Vegitative growth for hazardous abatement purposes, such as but not limited to, burning of grass fields.
  • The following situations do not require a burn permit:
  • Residential use of outdoor grills and fireplaces for recreational purposes such as preparing food.
  • Recreational campfires kindled when the ground is covered with snow or on frozen bodies of water.

The permittee must:

  • Stay with the fire until it is completely out.
  • Have a written permit in their possession.
  • Assure that no nuisance is created.
  • Follow all safety guidelines and permit conditions.

Visit for more information!

The Official Website for the Town of Dedham, Maine